The CyberMētis Speaker Series connects cybersecurity experts and practitioners with UC Berkeley students to discuss the wide range of practical skills and acquired intelligence required to operate in a constantly changing natural, human, and digital environment.
The idea behind CyberMētis is based on the Greek titan “Mêtis,” known as the titan of wisdom and cunning. Similarly, the Greek word metis meant a quality that combined wisdom and cunning, and is often used to describe the legendary hero Odysseus for his embodiment of adaptability and intelligence.
The concept of mētis is a nice fit for people working in cybersecurity, as it represents the importance of having a range of knowledge and skills necessary to address the evolving digital security landscape.
The CyberMētis Speaker Series invites graduate and undergraduate students, researchers, and faculty from the UC Berkeley campus to engage with experts and practitioners from various segments of the cybersecurity field.
This series is designed to show students that cybersecurity is a wicked problem that requires know-how and creativity to manage; that cybersecurity is a socio-technical endeavor requiring social and management skills as much as technical depth; and that there are entry points into the practice for students of diverse backgrounds and disciplines.
“Broadly understood, mētis represents a wide array of practical skills and acquired intelligence in responding to a constantly changing natural and human environment.”James Scott, Seeing Like a State
Spring 2023 Series
“The Future CISO and the Evolving Role of Digital Risk”
Davis Hake, Co-Founder of Resilience
In this talk, Hake will share his perspective on the evolving role of digital risk in companies and which areas the security community needs to pay more attention to. Discussion topics will include:
- budgeting to stop cyber attacks while also growing company revenue;
- cybersecurity solutions that enable vs block business priorities;
- how much cyber insurance and risk transfer a company should have; how cybersecurity leaders balance responsibilities to their users vs their companies; and
- what Boards of Directors are looking for in the talent pipeline.
Stay tuned for the rest of the series to be announced! Subscribe to the CyberMētis mailing list to receive the latest notifications on upcoming news and events.
Previous CyberMētis Speakers
- Chris Janczewski – Head of Global Investigations, TRM Labs
- Christoper Painter – President, The Global Forum on Cyber Expertise Foundation; U.S. Department of Justice (former)
- Jessica Peck – Attorney, Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS), U.S. Department of Justice
- Clifford Stoll – Astronomer, Author of The Cuckoo’s Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
- Sean Zadig – Chief Information Security Officer, Yahoo