As a member of the Alliance for Securing Democracy (ASD) team at the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF), the Technologist serves as ASD’s expert on the intersection of technology and democracy, providing insight and analysis on technology’s positive and negative impact on democratic institutions and processes. The Technologist analyzes how foreign state actors exploit technological tools, in conjunction with other tools and tactics, to undermine democracy; and how technology can be used to defend against the threat of malign foreign interference and strengthen democracy itself. This position plays a key role in building ASD’s research on artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies; developing recommendations for government and the private sector on tech-related issues that affect democracy; and raising public awareness on foreign state actors’ use of technology to undermine democracies and technological defenses against these threats. The Technologist employs technical and analytical skills, including data science, to investigate new and existing ways emerging technologies affect democracy. S/he also establishes partnerships with likeminded researchers and organizations, facilitates dialogue and greater connectivity between the policy and technology communities, and presents the information publicly in a manner that is understandable to non-experts.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Conduct technical and analytical research independently and with the support of ASD’s Research Assistants to identify existing and emerging technological trends and threats that affect democracies worldwide
- Work closely with ASD’s Social Media Analyst and Research Assistants to identify and analyze disinformation trends and threats across tech platforms
- Publish articles and blog posts and contribute to other public-facing materials for ASD leadership that presents research and policy recommendations
- Craft recommendations to address technological threats for government and the private sector, provide expert advice to policymakers on these issues, and liaise with tech companies
- Represent ASD and speak publicly about ASD’s work on these issues at conferences and other events